Monday 26 March 2012

LIMBO review

I had heard rave, incredibly positive reviews about Limbo before hand and had been looking in to it quite a bit, which of course peaked my interests, so it was a natural movie for me to indulge my curiosities and buy it. I dont regret doing it at all and in all honesty I crave more of it to satiate my hunger for such a beautiful masterpiece.

The first and most important thing you will notice  is that it is a silent, black and white video game. There is absolutely no script and minimal noise that only comes  from the environment, movements and certain objects. The dark overall tone is showcased in the colour, or lack of it. It adds a misty, creepy feel to the game that even managed to creep me the hell out.

Limbo stars instantly, there is no cut scenes to show the storyline or what happened prior to the game's events. I'll admit I had no flipping idea that it had started until I button mashed keys. You take control of a young boy, who with the help of the minimalist description given of the game, is looking for his sister. Being offered nothing else in terms of plot, Limbo offers the player to imagination and interpret everything as they see fit. With the absence of colour and script, immersing yourself into the game is such a fluid motion, allowing you to pay full attention to the boy and what lays ahead of you.

A place this game shines in, is the interactions with objects found along the way that helps you get from point A to B. Being a puzzle platform game at it's core while also being a Trial and Error, Limbo will ask you to figure out how to move ahead, whether it be from the use of bear traps, moving boxes or climbing trees, those are only a few of the interactions you will come across and determining on how you act, they can prove helpful or get you killed. The second part of the game features a much more mechanical setting, changing the pace of game while also adding a newer dimension to it.

With the dark ambience of the game you shouldn't be shocked to hear that can indeed kill the boy. Whether it be on purpose (No regrets~) or by accident, because those damn bear traps are hard to see! The game truly shines with it's use of violence and gore, showing different and incredibly delicious grizzly death scenes. But dont worry, if you're not up for it, there is a gore filter. Though why spoil the fun?

A thing that frustrated me most was the face this game ends abruptly. Not being one to be left hanging, the way this game ended left me a little bit disheartened and angry, which of course then led me to Google where I searched like crazy for some answers.  I found none.  I did however find so many brilliant interpretations of what fans believed the game to be about, the boys journey and what really happened. 


I adore Limbo, it's a game that won me over and even managed to make me turn on the lights at night. Sometimes less is really more. A beautiful, wonderful game and something players need to experience


RATE: 
 ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment