Monday 12 March 2012

Asphalt 6: Adrenaline Review


Any kind of racing or car game is a big no no for me. I have horrible steering and tend to over react when I play, causing all my turns to end up head first into something or someone, which then gives me road rage enabling my elegant transformation in the She-Hulk of gaming.
So pushing all that aside, I just had to give Asphalt 6: Adrenaline a try as it had one incredibly rave review from my one and only Mother and as we all know - Mummy knows best!

My first thought for this game was that it was visually stunning. The emphasis to make the cars appear as real as possible along with the vibrant colours and realism of the environment was amazing to look at while cruising along. Try and not get distracted by the gorgeous scenery though, you've got races and cash to win!

Controls are simple; tilt the screen left or right to turn respectively, while tapping on the right side of the screen will activate the nitro, allowing your car to go faster while tapping the left side of the screen will act as the cars brakes.
If you run out of Nitro, never fear because you will be able to pick up Nitro boosts that are located around the track. The different levels of the nitro bar indicate a different speed you will be able to go when they are activated, a full nitro bad will allow you to go a Warp 9 like speed until the whole bar runs out. However when you activate my amazingly awesome named 'Warp 9 Nitro speed' be sure to have your face shoved right up to the screen as it gets incredibly blurry and dark, causing you to crash and burn into obstacles.
Cash is also a collectible, both on the track and earned when you win races.If you feel as though tilting the screen is not your forte, you are able to change the controls. I personally had a lot of fun with the choice where the steering wheel is on the bottom of the screen, allowing you to steer with it and use the pedals, rather than just going forward automatically.
There are different levels and modes that you are able to choose from. Whether you want to complete the career mode that unlocks new countries, levels, and cars; or your more up for the free race option, in which case you are able to choose what kind of race it will be where and where.
Types of races range from the obvious Normal race to drifting, cash collector, etc. Earning stars used to unlock new more faster cars are earned from completed missions and how successful you were in terms of skill. Which in my case, always means 2 stars out of a possible five. Sigh

A big annoying problem that was worse than some horrible looking pimple on a spot you couldn't hide was that this game was FAR too dark in terms of brightness with no available option to change it.  I could hardly see corners, obstacles and even oncoming traffic until it was too late and I had wrecked the shit out of a good car, earning angry swearing and yelling from me. Want to know what I learnt from this game? Don't play it on public transport or in front of impressionable children.

Asphalt 6 also features Multiplayer as well as a thing called 'Garage'. Garage is where you take a lovely little stroll around your rich ass car garage and are able to have a look at the cars you have unlocked. It was something that if executed right could have been an amazing feature, however it was done deliciously wrong. The controls were hard to manoeuvre and just plain dumb; while there was no added interaction with the environment, I would have loved to have been able to interact with the cars other than driving it, or having been able to at least open a damn door.

I sadly cant offer any insight to the Multiplayer as I have yet to venture in to the world of online play. Curse me and my self concious gaming problems!

SUMMARY:
A beautiful, fast pace racing game with fabulous music and luscious environments. 

RATE:

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment